Boots and Rico

Boots and Rico
if you like my photography, please check out Laura Alison Photography on Facebook!

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

20 Things About Me (Us)

Alright, let's give this another shot. I was tagged on Instagram (@boots_and_rico) by Emily and Alden to share 20 things about myself and my doggies. I wrote this bigggg long list, ON MY PHONE, and submitted it and.... nothing. Wouldn't post. And of course I hadn't saved this list so I have to start over. I noticed Miranda was going to reply to this on her blog (woofssi.com) and I thought that was a great idea, as I'm WAY behind on posting. So without further ado, I'll try this again....

1) I am 26 years old (27 in June) and I already feel really old, even though I know people hate when I say that.

2) I am a 6th grade special education teacher and I love it more than I ever thought I would. I originally didn't want to teach special education, and didn't want to go above 3rd grade. After subbing in special ed classes, I realized I loved it and went back for my special ed certificate. I got placed in 5th grade and LOVED it before eventually moving to the middle school. Another place I didn't think I'd end up, but I feel at home there.

3) I just recently started blogging, and can't believe how happy it makes me to share stories about my babies (Maddie, Jax, Zoey and Brooklynn) and other dogs, even though I can't seem to keep on a good schedule of posting.

4) I have taken more photography courses than I can even comprehend right now, and have been snapping photos of all the dogs I can, in the hopes of becoming a pet photographer and working with shelters to help their dogs, especially pitties, get adopted. I admire photographers like Joesph Frazz who are so talented in their field.

5) I don't think I will ever not be in school, even though I generally hate taking them (at the time) even when I love the course content. I graduated from Quinnipiac University in CT, but stayed for graduate school. I moved home to NJ and went to graduate school again for my special ed certificate. Since then I've taken course after course online at TCNJ to learn more and improve myself as a teacher. It's really hard when you're working full-time, tutoring once/week, taking photography courses, and have 2 dogs, which is why I generally hate it, but I know it's good for my career and my brain.

6) Madison was returned once (or twice, I couldn't get a straight answer) before I adopted her when she was 4 months old, on October 14, 2012 (yes, I remember the exact date).

7) Madison is my first true dog, not a family dog, and I love her more than I could have ever imagined. I believe she truly knows I "rescued" her and she has shown me her thanks and love every single minute of every single day since.

8) Madison's foster mommy contacted me a few months after I adopted her and it has been the best experience. Chris is an amazing woman who, with her husband, fosters puppies at all times, giving them amazing starts, and then finds them great rescues to go to in order to find their forever home. I so love sharing Madison's adventures and pictures with Chris,a and love that I got to see pictures of Madison as a puppy, which I never thought I would.

9) Madison's birthday is the day before mine (another tidbit I got from Chris) - I'm June 14 and she's June 13.

10) I live with my boyfriend Jordan. We've lived together for one year before moving out of our first apartment, and we are now looking for our perfect home to grow into. We've been dating for 2 1/2 years.

11) Jordan works in TV Broadcasting at all different sports agencies (CBS sports, MLB Network, MSG, etc) and our schedules are pretty much exact opposites which SUCKS for us, but is great for the dogs (there's usually always someone home).

12) I so badly wanted to adopt Emily's (@loveisapittie on Instagram) foster Jada, and was wearing Jordan thin begging him. That is what led to him surprising me on our 2-year anniversary with dog toys and more dog food bowls to tell me we could get a second dog. Sadly but definitely understandably, he wanted to meet the pup before adopting one, so we obviously didn't get Jada. (But don't worry - she had her own happy ending!)

13) We found out about ARF of Mercer online and drove to South Jersey to a farm to look at liters of puppies with Maddie, which is where we found Jax (then Buster).

14) Jax came from Puerto Rico. The amazing women of ARF of Mercer make trips to Puerto Rico to rescue stray dogs. When we saw Jax, he was with his brother Toby and sister Sheila. They were estimated to be about 3 months of age.

15) The reason I wanted a second dog (right away, as opposed to once we got out of the apartment and into a house) was for Madison. I took her to the dog park almost every day after work but she still had so much energy and just lovedddd playing with other dogs.

16) As much as Madison loves playing with other dogs, once I start throwing the ball for her, she won't give them another glance. Maddie could (and has) chased balls for hours, without getting tired. Or with getting tired, but still wanting to play.

17) Jax loves Madison with all his little heart, and Maddie loves him back.

18) Jax has become such a mama's boy, and I think he may have separation anxiety from me, which I'm hoping explains why he chews on EVERYTHING when I'm not home (Jordan's video game controller, Jordan's mouse, the "love booklet" I made for Jordan for our anniversary, etc) which prompted me to crate him whenever we're not home. Also could have something to do with the move...

19) I truly wonder if Jax has some sort of oral fixation. When he's outside (or inside, as you saw) he will eat ANY and EVERY thing he sees - sticks, grass, weeds, pebbles, mulch, plants, etc.

20) I want a third dog, once we get a house and get settled, but I want him/her to be a foster dog, preferably a pittie or pittie mix. I love the idea of always having a third dog in the house, socializing the foster, as well as Maddie and Jax with dogs, and helping dogs to get out of the shelters and into a forever home.

That's about all for now! If you have any questions or want to know anything else about us - leave it in the comment section :)





2 comments:

  1. I loved reading this! It's awesome that you want to donate your skills as a photographer to help shelters. Joseph Frazz actually takes photos of the dogs from the shelter Meyer came from in Randolph. Do you think you'll foster through EHR?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! We must be really close... I live right near the EHR kennel in Randolph!!! I adopted Madison from EHR so I definitely would love to foster from them... I've been to the kennel a couple times and know there are a lot of pitties there and a lot of dogs that could use out of the cages.

    Joseph Frazz is a close friend to the woman who's daughter I tutor and that's how I was first introduced to him... he was so nice when I met him in person and I love following him on Facebook to see his pix...they're just awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful of each others' views and opinions :)